2018 Annual Report
While previous editions of the Annual Report highlighted state differences, the 2018 Annual Report centers on national trends. The goal of the 2018 Annual Report on People with Disabilities in America is to track the progress of people with disabilities using key social and economic indicators and make the call (for each indicator) as to whether an increase or decrease was detected. There is also an increased focus on the gaps between people with disabilities and people without disabilities for each indicator. The Annual Report addresses the following types of questions:
- Are people with disabilities making up a greater percentage of the US population?
- Are people with disabilities as likely to be employed as people without disabilities? And if not, is the situation getting better?
- Did the gap between the median earnings of people with disabilities and the median earnings of people without disabilities narrow?
- Is there a disparity in the poverty rate between people with and without disabilities? If so, is this gap narrowing?
- Is there a gap between people with and without disabilities with regard to the percentage attaining a high school diploma?
- Is there a gap between people with and without disabilities with regard to the percentage attaining a bachelor’s degree or more?
- Is there a difference in the percentage of people with and without disabilities who have never been married? If so, is it improving?
- Is there a difference in health insurance coverage between people with and without disabilities? If so, is it widening or narrowing?
- Is there a difference in private health insurance coverage between people with and without disabilities? If so, is it improving?
The 2018 Annual Report includes many of the key indicators identified in a comprehensive 2008 study, Keeping Track: National Disability Status and Program Performance Indicators, conducted by the National Council on Disability (NCD). In the coming years, the Annual Report will add more of the NCD indicators in these areas, as well as indicators for which data has only recently become available.
Download the 2018 Annual Report
To view an accessible version of this PDF, save the document to your computer and then open in Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Professional.